I was able to take a couple of hours in the midst of the garage decrapification to decrapify the
crap closet…uh…I mean craft closet. By the way, I don’t know if we are going to reach our goals in the garage this month. We have made huge progress in there. HUGE. We can actually walk from the outside garage door into the house which is major. Unfortunately, Josh has been working on the weekends and I just can’t do it on my own now at almost 8 months pregnant. I am planning on at least sharing the progress later this week. We are running out of time and have to start on the big projects in Willows Room before she gets here which by the way is in the next 5 to 8 weeks. Holy Jones.
So, back to my point. The craft closet. I had a ton of boxes in the garage of craft stuff that I haven’t seen in years. Yikes. With all the moving and storage etc. in the last 3 years things have been cah-razy. I had shoved a ton of stuff in the closet, because that’s how I roll when there isn’t a plan. The old adage is really true, there should be a place for everything and everything should be in its place. It really makes a difference and gives me peace of mind.
I showed you this picture at the beginning of the month and asked you not to judge…thanks by way :
Terrible. Reality. I am sure other people’s closets look like this.
Don’t try to act like they don’t.
I planned on making it a little more swanky by painting the inside etc. but we are running out of time this month and have to just get ‘er done.
Meanwhile Adele’s ” We Could Have Had It All” is running through my head. Ugh. We could have hadddddddd it alllllllllllllllllll!
I started by taking everything out. I thought, this is how it should have started. Well it did. It was empty when I moved in but me + moving alone + hurrying = crap closet.
Then…I put everything back in. I found some great little plastic bins in the garage. Who woulda thunk it? I found a lot of stuff in the garage. I organized it all in the little bins based on what the stuff was used for. Then, I labeled it all with my trusty Dymo label maker. Best $20 investment (5 years ago)! They aren’t swanky labels but they get the job done!
As I started to organize I realized that now that I can find everything I won’t be buying duplicates every time I think something is lost forever. I picked up a couple of shelf organizers at Walmart, the kind that attach to the bottom of a shelf to make a bin. Perfect solution for storing extra cardstock. I have A LOT of cardstock. I am still digging it out of the garage.
In the bottom of the closet I put my sewing machines. To make a long story short…my really nice, really expensive sewing machine has a broken mechanism in the bobbin winder. Dang it. The repair guy won’t call me back. So last year I bought a cheap-o one from Walmart to get by in the mean time…yes it has “fashion faces”…so embarassing.
I needed a spot to keep my ribbon other than the “ribbon box” so I found this shower caddy at Walmart. It fits my ribbon perfectly. I pulled the individual ribbon through the slots to keep it from getting mangled and make it easier to pull out lengths to cut. Now I can see exactly what I have.
I found some curtain hangers…in the garage…of course and thought it would be per-fect to hang wrapping paper and scissors. I feel so not embarassed of this closet now.
The whole project was pretty easy. Now it can stay like that. I kinda wish it was painted but maybe on a slow day I can tackle that.
I justified buying the organizers based on the fact that now I will be saving money when I don’t have to buy hot glue guns. Now I know where they are. All 5 of them. It all evens out now.
Here it is in all of its glory. THE NON-CRAP CRAFT CLOSET.
Done and Done.
Share on Facebook